No subject

Sat Aug 16 21:18:54 CDT 2008

>> From these texts it is clear that the Catholic
>> Church condemns freedom of conscience, freedom
>> of religion, freedom of speech, and freedom of
>> the press.  Yet these "freedoms" are held as
>> sacrosanct in the American culture. In an effort
>> not to appear un-american, the Catholic clergy
>> in the United States for the most part neglected
>> these condemnations, as well as the teaching of
>> Sacred Scripture, of the Church, and of the holy
>> Fathers which supports them."

>> The very term toleration implies evil, and we are
>> therefore not speaking about a right to profess
>> [information condemned by Catholicism], since all
>> right is founded in God. It is inconceivable that
>> God would grant someone the right to be wrong

Which begs the question: how can Luke-Jr. support Free Software when two of its ideals, freedom of speech and freedom of the press, are so antithetical to Luke-Jr.'s version of Catholicism?  If we believe the FSF's position that access to information should be free, regardless of the *content* of that information, we are apparently going against Traditional Catholicism's ideals in that regard.  We are made heretics simply because we believe in free software and free information.

Bear in mind that *all* Catholic writings presented in the following article occurred *after* the fourth and last Vatican II session in 1965, and therefore, according to Luke-Jr.'s position on the modern Catholic Church, originated from *heretical* Catholic doctrine and thought:

Free Software's Surprising Sympathy With Catholic Doctrine

http://www.linux.com/feature/49533