Broken network initialization (Was: Re: Wanted...)

Hal Duston hald at kc.rr.com
Sun Aug 31 09:07:04 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 02:28:05PM +0545, Sean Crago wrote:
> Not all symptoms in the bug were resolved, because of this related
> issue. That said, ok - I'll give NM another shot when I bored enough
> to break my system a little. Still, though - Any idea what is
> different between the ifup at boot and the ifup in my rc.local? Why
> would the one work and not the other?
>
> -Sean

Here is one thing that I considered when I was researching this
problem some time ago.  (I don't recall if I even resolved it or
not now.)  I wondered if something else e.g. NM was doing an ifdown
at somepoint when it took over control of the network device.  I
wondered if this was true because when I switched to a text console
before NM was running and found that the interface was up, but then
it was down once I was logged in.  Again I remember nothing else
about what I did or did not do or even if I resolved it.

Thanks,
--
Hal