Broken network initialization (Was: Re: Wanted...)

Sean Crago cragos at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 23:01:31 CDT 2008

Sure - Here's one on the subject - May not be the official way to do
it, but it worked for me:

And here's an old bug report on the subject:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/33089

There are multiple forum entries on the subject as well, but they
mostly end with lazy half-fixes like the one I put in place (ifdown
wlan0;ifup wlan0 in the /etc/rc.local file). One way or another
though, it still doesn't make a lick of sense that the ifup script can
succesfully work with iwconfig when the system's fully loaded, but
can't halfway through. It should have no significant dependencies.

By the way, I've had the same problem on two completely different sets
of hardware, too. Full lspci output's in the bug report. Me thinks
NetworkManager is just too immature to properly handle WPA2. it's a
shame - incredibly simple and clean interfaces are out there and just
waiting to be ripped off from myriad embedded Linux projects.

Sean Crago
Kathmandu