Wanted: Cheap, Linux compatible wireless card

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 16:57:26 CDT 2008

--- On Thu, 8/28/08, Matthew Copple <mcopple at kcopensource.org> wrote:

> My son is finally learning to read, and it is
> time to put a computer in his room. Unfortunately,
> we live in a hundred-year old house, and the idea
> of threading several feet of cat5 through bedroom
> and hallway is not appealing.  I am putting Edubuntu
> on it for him.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for a cheap, Linux
> compatible wireless card? I prefer an A/B/G card
> that is WPA compatible. I prefer a USB device if
> possible, but I won't quibble if PCI is cheaper.
> I really don't want to deal with ndiswrapper.
>
> Any suggestions?

About four months ago I posted about Microcenter selling just such a Linux-compatible wireless PCI card, supporting wireless standards A/B/G/N and also WPA, for only $19.99.  This one worked out of the box on Ubuntu 7.10, and didn't stop working when I upgraded the whole system to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS today.  Microcenter still had at least a dozen left last week, and the boxes still aren't shrink-wrapped so you can verify the chipset yourself.

The Free Software Foundation recommends (among others) the RALink-based network card chipset.  It works great on the rt2500 driver.