idea: a managed linux distribution, for weak users

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 14:15:22 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, but they sure do enjoy the funny commercials, Mac users....  The
> rich ones already have macs, and enjoy having overpaid. The poor ones,
> if you could distract them from wearing black clothing for a few
> minutes would be the target audience.

Well, for fear of turning this into a Mac/PC flame^H^H^H^H^Hfunfest, I ought
to point out that there's more to a Mac than just style and cost.

I've had the opportunity to have worked professionally on PCs running
Windows, Macintoshes, PCs running Linux, and various commercial Unix
offerings on their hardware.  Oddly enough the time I felt most productive
and enjoyed the experience the most was when I was on a Mac.  And that was
MacOS 7.x, when they were slow and had cooperative multitasking.

I think the reason that this issue (Mac vs PC) has such a wide variety of
opinions has more to do with what people value in their computing
experience.  Some don't care about the decor and want a inexpensive,
utilitarian environment.  Others are the opposite.  Others have even more
different opinions.

Anyhow, I've always enjoyed Macintoshes (and I don't even own one right
now).  I also enjoy spending a bit more money for Sony televisions.  Yes, I
could have gotten a Toshiba TALEN for much less, but the fit and finish and
the overall quality of the experience on my Sony is better, and for _me_ it
was worth it to spend more money to get it.

I'm sure others are different.
Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that