[OT] Reply from Congressman Emanuel Cleaver concerning Orphan WorksActof 2008

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 15:24:49 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> All authority comes from God, including that of the civil governments.
>
> Think about how ridiculous that is for a second. If I want to commit a
> crime,
> I just withdraw my consent to be governed and it becomes ok?
> God has authority regardless of consent of the "governed" men.
> The Church has authority regardless of consent of the "governed" laity.
> Parents have authority regardless of consent of the "governed" children.
> Why would civil authority be any different, let alone totally backward?

Which God?  Which Church?  Before you answer, I suggest that you do the
following:

1) Buy guns.  Lots of guns.
2) Schedule a time and place for you and other religious folks to meet on
the issue and "debate".
3) Tell the rest of us so we can get binoculars and enjoy the fireworks from
afar.

Morality doesn't come from Christianity.  Governments don't come from
Christianity.  They are ancient parts of human society, and they predate
modern religions.  They are not dependent, they are exclusive and
independent, though some fools like to impose their religious views on
others claiming that morality and government are somehow new things.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that