[OT] Reply from Congressman Emanuel Cleaver concerning Orphan WorksActof 2008

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Aug 14 12:44:45 CDT 2008

On Thursday 14 August 2008, Chuck wrote:
> Luke -Jr wrote:
> > People have the right and obligation to break laws that contradict higher
> > laws. Outside of that, the civil government has the right to create
> > whatever laws it wants.
>
> No, it doesn't. The government has no right to exist. Where does it get
> this authority from? From God? The divine right of government to exist?

All authority comes from God, including that of the civil governments.

> If the government supposedly exists by consent of the governed, that
> implies that the "governed" can withdraw their consent, thus implying
> that even arguments for the existence of a state admit that there are
> reasons for the state to not exist.

Think about how ridiculous that is for a second. If I want to commit a crime,
I just withdraw my consent to be governed and it becomes ok?
God has authority regardless of consent of the "governed" men.
The Church has authority regardless of consent of the "governed" laity.
Parents have authority regardless of consent of the "governed" children.
Why would civil authority be any different, let alone totally backward?