Reply from Congressman Emanuel Cleaver concerning Orphan WorksActof 2008

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Aug 14 11:12:18 CDT 2008

On Thursday 14 August 2008, Chuck wrote:
> People have the right to break unjust laws and that's what many people
> are doing, including folks who are aiding and assisting "illegal"
> people.

People have the right and obligation to break laws that contradict higher
laws. Outside of that, the civil government has the right to create whatever
laws it wants. I tend toward libertarianism, but especially lately have come
to the understanding that individual "rights" are being treated as divine at
the expense of the rights of God and His appointed authorities. If there were
to be a law that everyone must wear a hat at 5 PM, it would be binding, with
exception only to cases where there is a higher law forbidding such an
action.

> I would go further and advocate the elimination of laws and government.
> That's the anarchist argument.

I would agree that anarchy may be better than the current US regime, but not
on the same basis. The current regime protects real criminals from their
victims, whereas at least with anarchy people can make attempts to protect
themselves.