Reply from Congressman Emanuel Cleaver concerning Orphan WorksActof 2008

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Aug 14 13:40:05 CDT 2008

Leo Mauler wrote:

> Much as I salute your desire to welcome people into your neighborhood and city,
illegal immigrants have violated laws through their entry into this
country and are
thus illegal immigrants.  As opposed to legal immigrants which have
entered through the
legal channels of immigration.

I really don't give a damn if some laws created by a government with no
legitimacy criminalizes a class of people for existing in the wrong
place. They didn't have any say in the creation of those laws and
neither did I. We need to get rid of the laws relating to "immigration"
and "citizenship." Get rid of all passports, driver licenses and so on.
People should be treated as human beings and their freedoms should be
celebrated, not controlled or penalized.

I just can't believe that we still have this anachronistic crap in the
21st century. All of this crap was developed in the early 20th century,
so it's long overdue for being abolished.

> There's just no getting around the fact that until a law is repealed, the activity
  prohibited by that law is an illegal activity.  Trying to pretend that
the law doesn't exist,
prior to its repeal, just makes you look stupid, and puts you in the
same category as
Paris Hilton, who several months ago drove with a suspended driver's
license, at
75MPH in a 30MPH zone, and in the dark with her headlights off, all at
the same time.
She, too, stupidly tried to pretend that unrepealed laws did not exist.

It's ridiculous to compare dangerous behavior to somebody who is
"violating" the law because they are existing in the "wrong" place. Your
  argument is a classic example of why the debate over immigration is so
stupid. People who oppose "illegal immigration" say they oppose it
because "people are breaking the laws." Yes, some of these people are
idiots who actually think that people should obey all laws, but much of
this is a coded way to avoid the racist basis for opposition to
"illegal" immigration. When people complain about "illegal" immigrants
breaking the law, they are always talking about brown-skinned people
from Mexico and Latin America. They aren't equally focused on the
millions of people from elsewhere who are "illegal" in the United States.

Again, how is somebody "illegal" status as a citizen comparable to a
celebrity endangering people with aggressive driving? How many
bystanders have been killed by somebody's "illegal" status?

> There's an inherent inconsistency with a statement like yours which boils down to
"nice people should be allowed to break laws without punishment."

People have the right to break unjust laws and that's what many people
are doing, including folks who are aiding and assisting "illegal"
people. I would go further and advocate the elimination of laws and
government. That's the anarchist argument.

Chuck