HP Rant 2

Phil Thayer phil.thayer at vitalsite.com
Wed Aug 13 12:36:41 CDT 2008

I never said that using refilled ink cartridges will void a warrantee.
However, if you call HP for support and then tell them that you are
using a refilled ink cartridge, they will tell you to replace it with an
HP Approved ink cartridge (which could be made by another vendor such as
Xerox or Lexmark) and then if the problem persists follow up with the
support case.

This would be the same as Microsoft saying update your Windows with the
most recent updates or service pack and see if the problem continues.
Or Red Hat support saying to update your Linux to a certain level and
see if the problem persists.

Refilled ink cartridges will not void a warrantee on an HP printer
unless it is shown that the cartridge caused damage to the printer.
Which is highly likely due to the fact that HP (or an approved HP vendor
like Xerox or Lexmark) has no control over the quality control of the
ink cartridge manufacturing process.

Without maintaining some way to have that control over quality the
product might as well be a Windows. :)