HP Rant 2

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Aug 12 12:58:00 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008, you wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:37, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 August 2008, you wrote:
> >> Not related to Linux.
> >
> > It doesn't work in Linux, either
>
> Nobody's stopping you from fixing that.

I think I've done everything I can.

> > Last time I checked, any such condition on a warranty is illegal.
>
> Where did you check last time. Specifically?

Last night when I began having issues using the refill.
Too bad my warranty expired a long time ago.

> >> If you allowed a cartridge to get to 0% in the first place, the print
> >> heads probably burned out.  They are usually cooled by the ink itself
> >> (because they're not designed to be reusable as stated clearly on the
> >> packaging). User error.  Good luck, try again next time.  I refill my
> >> Brother multifunction with the wrong type ink, and expect to completely
> >> destroy it every time.  I haven't yet.  I guess I'm just lucky.  Too
> >> bad.  It's about time for me to get a new printer.
> >
> > Please explain why this justifies the printer totally going bonkers?
>
> "Bonkers"?  that language specifically detracts from the point.  The
> printer is malfunctioning because you damaged it by doing something it
> wasn't designed for.  What did you expect?

It wasn't designed to print? A refilled cartridge should no more damage a
printer than a non-root userland app with a security hole should damage the
running kernel.

> >> You might try buying new, unused, authentic HP cartridges before you
> >> conclude that you have completely destroyed the printer.
> >
> > It has the same problem without the refilled cartridge.
>
> Then I suppose it's off to newegg/ebay/walmart you go.  If you are
> lucky, HP might choose to sell printers today that use with your older
> printers' cartridges so you may recoup that investment.  Be careful
> with this next printer, and follow directions.

Newegg has a black laser printer for $45 shipped. It'd be an easy choice if my
current printer can be made to scan/fax/print colour still.