Pantent infingments?

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Wed May 16 17:12:42 CDT 2007

Last I checked, there are two CAL models used by MS: per-server and
per-seat. Per-server means you buy a set number of licenses for that
server, and that server will never permit more than that many
connections. This is really the only way to legally connect non-MS
clients to a CAL restricted service. With per-seat, the server allows
unlimited connections from machines that each have their own individual
Microsoft CAL.

Note, though, that last I checked the MS software did not actually have
any mechanism for verifying the per-seat licensing model. It was
primarily used in situations where the organization purchased
site-licenses that granted per-seat CALs for every machine they owned.
MS has been beefing up their licensing enforcement since then, so I
wouldn't be surprised if they actually verify them now.

~Bradley