Using USB memory key as boot directory for older computer?

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 12:07:49 CDT 2007

I've just started playing with FreeNAS (well, it's BSD...), and it
shows USB thumb drives as a regular USB mas storage just like it would
in Linux.  My mobo just boots right from it as it would a regular ATA
HD or CD drive.  I know occasionally one might need a certain program
(syslinux) to write boot blocks for the drive, but for the most part
with a newish thumb drive it should "just work".

I've got plans to play with DSL and Puppy and others on a thumb drive
at some point soon.

Jon.