Stress Testing Hard Drives

Phil Thayer phil.thayer at vitalsite.com
Wed Jun 27 11:23:44 CDT 2007

Well, they certainly don't run the drives for 1.4 million hours (the
MTBF for a Seagate Cheetah NS) to determine if it will fail.  What they
have is a testing facility where they run read/write tests on large
numbers of drives.  They then take the failure results of that test and
extrapolate it out to get 1.4 million hours or somewhere around 159
years.  If you look at the Seagate Barracuda the MTBF drops to 750,000
hours.  This equates to only 85.6 years or about half the Cheetah NS
drive.  Both the same basic technology as far as the disk platter goes.

Phil