Stress Testing Hard Drives

John D. Frakes unixengineer at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 26 13:51:23 CDT 2007

So what label would come on out of box failure drives?  The best thing I can think of is to partiton the drive and format with ext3, setting the block size low and performing a bad block check.   Also do some reasearch into SMART and see if you can use smartds to log possible failures.   Depending on the drive manufacturer, some log way before the failure.

-john frakes