DSL and Puppy Linuk user's reports- a shallow comparison.

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 18:10:44 CDT 2007

Friday midmorning one of my laptop hd's got munged somehow- it's been
replaced and forensics are upcoming.
The result was a need to resume using that laptop ASAP.
I recalled having made a DSL keychain install several meetings ago so I dug
out that USB drive and the fun began.
This notebook is too old to boot from USB. Up till recently making a linux
boot floppy seemed doomed to arcana.
RAWRITE/TGZ  etc and nonstandard floppy sizes pretty well says "ubergeeken
only" to the mundanes viewing the directions.
THIS time I Googled and found there was a downloadable floppy image tool
that just plain worked. used a windows box to make the floppy,
Plugged the USB drive in this laptop, inserted the floppy- booted into DSL
which I am now using to post this.
It is faster than the cd based DSL and seems pretty freeze or balk resistant
so far.

For my mundane taskings of webmail,Google,Ebay etc it's been quite
acceptable to even impressive at times.
Sadly there are some employer demanded Citrix tools that seem to be not
Linux compatible.
Other than that issue I could consider literally not bothering to install to
HD unless somehow forced to!
Which brings me to the next contender for a daily use OS on this laptop.

Puppy Linux running from a CDR or CDRW that was rercorded as multisession.

Certain concepts will hatch independent of any person claiming to have
"thought of that first"
Though some foilks on this list will recall my importuning the coders among
us to enable "write back to a Knoppix CDR"
Uh, IIRC that was maybe 2+ years ago? Ah well- the Puppy team has delivered
and more on that concept.
In an  "on disk" footprint close to that of DSL we have a Ramdisk loading
Knoppix/Debian derived distro.
One that inherently allows removal of the Puppy cd after it loads itsellf
into Ramspace..
There is a setup dialog almost close to non tech user viable but still
needing some decrufting.
Details in a seperate deconstructions report in progress for both of tthese
distros,
It can be still observed that video defaults going to test then asking " do
you see me now?"-fall back on no response is needed at times.

The same for the netprobe script- a few changes and it could become press
any key upon seeing the "no interface found" message.
Repeating that till the next message giving choices for DHCP etc prompts for
human aid again.
The slickest part however was the save to cd mode actually remembers all the
net and video settings!

I am going to alternate between these distros for some time now and see if
some "grafting" tools from one into the other will bear better fruits.
EX: Puppy has a save tool that may be back graftable to DSL and DSL has the
infinitely underrated "Xkill" utility that I have not yet found in puppy.
Frankly speaking- Xkill would be a desktop mandatory app if I ever presume
to whack on a distro that hard.
Most of  the above comments have been extracted largely from current
experiments  Friday 1100 to now.

In summary - on this pentium 500 laptop with 258 mb ram both distros were
quite acceptable for every non windows bound task I needed this weekend..
They just plain worked and worked well. There IS a bit of learning curve to
access and use files on another drive or network location witth the tools in
these distros, but that's still not a deal breaker.

Oren Beck

"Sometimes we need to use a computer and not flog obstacles- for that task I
suggest Livecds or USB distros"