SATA PT2

William Harrington wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Wed Jun 6 21:48:51 CDT 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 3:28 PM, Phil Thayer wrote:

> I didn't think RAID 5 or RAID 6 kept all parity data on any one
> particular disk.  I thought it was spread across all the disks. In the
> case of RAID 6 I thought that the parity was stored on different disks
> each time but never both on the same disk.
>
> In any case, I think you both may be right.  They are using a
> different
> parity algorithm for the second parity to be able to recover from a
> multiple disk failure which would cause the loss of multiple bits
> of the
> data.  My bad on that one.

No, raid 5 + raid 6 would be of no use if one drive only kept the
parity data. Not sure where you got your info. You need to seriously
verify your information. RAID 3 has one dedicated disk for parity.
Raid 5 has parity across all disks. That is when one disk fails
during the rebuild process of a RAID5 array, it will fail. With
RAID6, you get recovery when one drive fails, a second will still be
able to recover the array. RAID 3 keeps parity info on one disk.
Also, have at least 2 drives available for replacement, and have at
least 2 backup targets available: via tape, another hard drive all
equal to or great than the array. I am amazed at how many people
don't understand the current RAID levels.

This is a decent source with creditable sources. http://
www.ecs.umass.edu/ece/koren/architecture/Raid/raidhome.html

A lot of people have no credible information about raid, and "I have
experience" is not credible. No telling where they got their
information. Using software RAID rather than hardware RAID will
affect users' comments. There's a big difference. Now days you want
to use PCI-X raid controllers.

If you want performance, don't use parity. If you want redundancy use
RAID5+. You should seriously calculate how much your data is worth.
If you wish to spend a lot, use both!
Sincerely,

William Harrington