SATA PT2

Phil Thayer phil.thayer at vitalsite.com
Wed Jun 6 15:28:28 CDT 2007

I didn't think RAID 5 or RAID 6 kept all parity data on any one
particular disk.  I thought it was spread across all the disks. In the
case of RAID 6 I thought that the parity was stored on different disks
each time but never both on the same disk.

In any case, I think you both may be right.  They are using a different
parity algorithm for the second parity to be able to recover from a
multiple disk failure which would cause the loss of multiple bits of the
data.  My bad on that one.