SATA PT2

Phil Thayer phil.thayer at vitalsite.com
Tue Jun 5 14:46:43 CDT 2007

True.  I missed that on the RAID 0 as opposed to RAID 1.

Also, you would probable be surprised at the number of places that use
the RAID 6 or RAID ADG in a mirrored configuration.  It is not a fast or
speedy  solution.  Remember that RAID 6 or RAID ADG is the SLOWEST RAID
as far as performance is concerned.  With RAID 10 you still open
yourself up to vulnerability when a drive fails on your stripeset which
causes your stripeset to fail.  Since it is mirrored you are fine unless
you have a failure on your mirrored stripeset.  Personally, I don't like
to use RAID 0 at anytime because it has no resiliency when it comes to
disk failures.  I would rather have the RAID 5 at a minimum for any
single disk LUN and then use RAID 1 for additional redundancy.  But
generally I work with companies that are willing to spend the money for
that configuration along with having controllers with the maximum
read/write cache to compensate for the speed.