Web services "in" the KC area.

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 11:09:48 CDT 2007

On 7/5/07, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO <brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov>
wrote:

> Now that I wake up and think about it, you work from home, so both your
> lines are in the same place.  For most of us, this is not true, but I see
> where you are coming from.

But my work uses my home Internet connection and a Sonicwall to establish a
VPN between my office and the corporate network, so that doesn't help
either.

I know how to connect to my firewall and get the status on the connection to
the cable 'modem'.  I know how to power-cycle my equipment, and if that
doesn't work, I go in the other room and check the TV to see if the cable is
good.   If it isn't, I call Time-Warner, and if there's a long estimated
wait time, I assume it's a wide area problem they already know about.

The problem is fundamentally no different from calling AT&T to tell them you
have a problem with your phone service.  That's not going to be from the
line having trouble.  I have 3 land lines here, (two paid for by the
company) plus cell service on the Sprint network if none of those are good.