This is on topic as it affects hardware being ABLE to run Linux at all.

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 01:32:28 CST 2007

Read this all the way thru and read the Vista report before even
considering a response.
Flame me for this on anything other than provable errors of FACT and
they win.Facts Vs FUD is how we will win this.

Earlier tonight I saw an evil usually reserved for pulp horror or
similar fantasies
That report on Vista as being ":suicide" for MS. I should have read it sooner.
This time the precedents seem to endanger ownership as being full
control of YOUR property by YOU. And if you think me deranged?  The
truth is scarier.
Take a look at what I fear may be much worse than described if it comes true.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

The so-called "content protection" schemes that are being demanded of
hardware producers seem potentially able to render Linux unusable on
newer hardware.

The concept that hardware will obey it's owner is under total
refutation in the eyes of MS and the "content industry"  Think RIAA,
MPAA,their foreign counterparts..All in an evil pact.
The stakes are nothing less than their desire to make ownership as
control of our hardware in THEIR hands and NOT ours any longer. Such
hardware will ignore us to their profit.

Want to bet our freedom to own computers that obey us and not them on
their honor?

I propose that before this insanity goes any farther we all place our
signatures and voices in opposition to it.I wonder if perhaps a month
or several of boycott would work?

Our signatures on purchase orders and credit cards only to companies
that say NO to this insanity.

Our voices carrying testimony against the theft of full ownership
attempted by MS and the "content industry" .

Consider a May, June , July with even a 50% drop in sales by hardware
and content companies not renouncing the evil pacts? And a 50%
increase for those that DO renounce!

We are the ones who direct more IT budget than we give ourselves credit for.
We may actually be able to replicate Atlas Shrugging. OR close enough
to alter the future.

"Where do you want to go today that they will let you go to?"