Political Blather

Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Jan 25 10:01:15 CST 2007

Don't flip-flop on this subject.  You wanted a dead easy system for
people you know that are computer illiterate, that they couldn't
possibly screw-up, that wouldn't get infected, that wouldn't leave
personal info on the system.  I gave that to you.  DSL or KioskCD.  If
you start trying to make a thinclient system you run into a real big
problem, a server.  You need something to host the OS image and apps
they use.  This requires a separate box, just so some people can surf.
This only makes sense if you have a setup with multiple stations for
surfing.  Say in a library, school, business, shopping mall or if you
have a passel of kids like hald and you want several similar, low
requirement PCs so each may have their own.   And it requires someone
that knows how to setup and maintain the setup.

If a person has broadband and ONE PC, you need something that will just
boot and go.  If you have 2 or more, you need either a firewall
appliance, router, wifi/switch/router, gateway PC, whatever.  One of the
good points about a KisokCD if you have one PC is that you don't have to
worry about viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, zombies, anything like
that.  Set your kid loose for his allotted hour after booting to the
KioskCD and then reboot the PC without it when he is done.

If your friend or whatever graduates from just web browsing or wants a
more capable, yet still simple, low requirement system, you can give him
a full DSL distro.  What is the big deal?

If you still want to go the thinclient route, look at
http://www.thinstation.org/   You can build your own CD from that and it
is as small as you will likely get.  You can even use
ThinStation-O-Matic to customize it.
http://struktur.kemi.dtu.dk/thinstation/TSoM/   Just be careful on the
page where it allows you to load a build image.  If you just went thru
and made all kinds of changes, you don't want to hit the "load" button.
It makes changes to the selections to match the example build files or
your custom build file you created before.  This TSoM looks a lot like
what we were talking about in IRC the other day for an online custom ISO
build setup.