Ethereal

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jan 25 10:00:00 CST 2007

I've seem someone - I'm pretty sure it's the same person - complain about
another distro besides DSL because he had to look for Ethereal instead of it
being installed by default.  He makes it appear that he finds Ethereal to be
an essential tool in his daily use of Linux.

I seriously doubt that this is the case, or he wouldn't be talking about using
it from a Live CD.  In real life, Ethereal tends to accumulate large data
files that could easily overwhelm a system running entirely from RAM and CD.

Introducing it to a discussion of compact OSs for low-end hardware is
completely spurious, and suggests that there isn't a real debate going on
here, just someone taking aim at whatever he can knock, for whatever reason.