from the libertarian newspaper

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Mon Jan 22 15:23:00 CST 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 15:14, Phil Thayer wrote:
> I don't think Microsoft has a monopoly.

90% of the market is a monopoly: Microsoft has a monopoly on the desktop
market. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with a monopoly in
itself-- its when the monopoly is abused that it becomes a big problem real
fast. Microsoft's abuse of its monopoly is evident from the number of people
buying and/or using Windows because they have no real freedom to choose other
good options.

> > If someone is computer illiterate, they wouldn't recognize either. They
> > would certainly have an easier time using a *nix OS than they would
> > using Windows.
>
> Most likely the little they have seen about computers is from the TV
> which would be windows.

Computers are rarely shown in detail in movies, and from what I've seen,
there's a good variety of OS used there. Can't comment on TV as I have not
watched it for at least 2-3 years.

> > You are *forced* to purchase Windows with the vast majority of computers.
> > If it was optional, you *might* have a point.
>
> Not true.  HP is the largest computer vendor in the country and has the
> largest share of computer sales and you can order a PC from them with
> Linux pre-installed just like you can windows pre-installed.  Pretty
> much every computer vendor in the country is providing that option now.

Right..... so where can I go to buy a good laptop without Windows exactly?
Last time I checked (within the past year), they all mandated a Windows
purchase.

> We have the respect of the companies selling the hardware.

That's why companies like nVidia and ATi continue to violate the licensing
terms on Linux...

> Also, they see the opportunity to sell a support contract with the free
> Linux which means money in their pockets.

Not only do they ship computers with Linux, but they also support it? Are you
writing a science-fiction novel?