WoW on Wine - Blizzard Still Banning?

Rich Edelman rcedelman at comcast.net
Tue Jan 9 15:02:54 CST 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 09:06, Jon Moss wrote:
> My daughter, who this computer is for, plays WoW, but
> usually on her brother's computer, which is a Windows
> XP workstation.  I asked her for the WoW CD so I could
> attempt to get it working under wine (I found some
> good howtos so wanted to see if it would work).
>
> She told me flat out not to do that because Blizzard
> will ban your account, claiming you are cheating,
> using 3rd party applications (bots) if you run WoW on
> Linux.
>
> Is this still the case?  I don't want my daughter's
> account to get banned just because I'm curious and
> want to see if I can actually get this to work.

No, this isn't the case anymore. It took about a week, but the Transgaming
folks worked with Blizzard on identifying the issue and all the banned linux
players had their bans removed.

I happily play WoW through Wine, and haven't had any problems.

According to the Transgaming folks, they'll be closely working with Blizzard
in the future to hopefully prevent bans like this inadvertently taking out
valid players on non-Windows platforms.

Rich