Update on Upgrading from FC4 to Kubuntu

Jon Moss mossjon at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 5 13:10:13 CST 2007

A quick update on my upgrade delimna.

I burned to CDs yesterday - one for kubuntu 6.1 and
one for ubuntu 6.1.  I tested the kubuntu CD at work
by installing it on one of my spare workstations.
Worked flawlessly.

Took CDs home.  Tarred and gzipped the home directory
on my Linux workstation.  Copied those files to my
laptop.  Slapped the CD in the CD drive and restarted.
 Nothing - wouldn't boot (which was odd because this
same CD worked while I was at work).  Powered off the
workstation and tried again - still wouldn't boot from
CD.  Powered down and reviewed the BIOS - first boot
option was CD.  Tried again - no luck.

So, since the last time I had to install an OS on this
workstation, my CD drive has died.  Now I've got to
scrounge one up and install it.

In the meantime, I attempted to upgrade FC4 to FC5
using yum.   Everything was going well until it got
stuck because it had exhausted all available mirrors
or something (forgot to right to error message down -
will check it again when I get home).

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I think I will stay
with ubuntu because it's really for my daughter, who
is an artist, not a techie.

Later,

Jon