root on Mac

Don Ellis don.ellis at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Feb 14 10:26:21 CST 2007

I'm not sure what you mean by "permission problems" -- The default
condition in OSX is that the root account is disabled and
administrative functions must be done with sudo (cli), or, in the
GUI, the user must (when challenged) enter a userid and password that
have administrative privilege. If logged on as a non-admin user, you
can usually enter a different userid when prompted. I don't recall
any difference when I was working on a Solaris or OSF system last
Autumn.

To get around these restrictions, one can "sudo su - root" or enable
root login, either of which requires special attention to what you
do. Logging on as a non-admin user is recommended, but awkward.

Of course, when using any M$ product, all bets are off.

And, when it comes to "repairing permissions", that is uncomfortable
to former "PC" users, accustomed to being the only user on the
system. Yes, periodic repairs are recommended.

--Don Ellis