Fundraiser to host Stallman for a day in KC

Dave Hull dphull at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 09:00:09 CST 2007

Many colleges and universities have a speakers bureau that has money
available to pay honoraria and I can tell you from experience that $5k
is really not much for someone like Richard Stallman.

If you can put a bug in some Comp Sci professor's ear at some local
school, then he may be willing to try and push something like this
through his school's channels. Just make sure they keep the event open
to the public.

In the early '90s, I was the forums coordinator for KU's Student Union
Activities. We had a budget of about $20k and through some creative
planning and a couple big name speakers that people were willing to
pay a nominal fee for, we were able to extend our budget by another
$5k.

With the right promotion, I could easily see Stallman filling a
mid-sized auditorium with CS, law and possibly some students from Econ
and then there's all the public riff-raff like us that would come. If
I knew Stallman was speaking in K.C., I'd drive in from Lawrence to
see it.

If he were coming to Lawrence, would folks from K.C. make the trip?

On 2/13/07, Jared <jared at hatwhite.com> wrote:
> I propose we have a fundraiser:
>
> http://puggy.symonds.net/~kalyan/rms-letter.txt
>
> None of us are very good with money, or we
> wouldn't be geeks, so I'll be brief: does
> anyone have $5,000 to spare?
>
> Fundraiser concluded. Moving on to new business...
>
> -Jared

Dave Hull