I need a router with Dial-On-Demand, can Ubuntu Server do it?

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 12:08:11 CST 2007

> On Dec 12, 2007 3:21 PM, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Basically I'd like to add a kind of "load balancing"
> > router to the home network.

no, you want a failover.  Load balancing is trickier and is
not what you describe.

> > What I'd like to do is stick a Linux router between
> > the cable modem and the existing wireless router.  The
> > new Linux router would take Internet access from the
> > cable modem, have a regular dialup modem setup for
> > emergency Dial-On-Demand, and then share out the
> > Internet (from whatever source) to the home network.
> > The modem wouldn't have a phone line plugged into it
> > unless there was an actual cable outage, so there
> > would be no risk of accidentally using up the prepaid
> > minutes.
> >
> > I want to have web and DNS caching to minimize
> > bandwidth usage during dialup periods, though they
> > wouldn't be a bad idea even with the cable Internet.

Sounds like it would be better to run your wireless router
in simple WAP mode instead of having it do NAT, to simplify
things, and install dnscache and squid or apache proxy on
the router, all the time.  And ntpd, and so  on.  Essentially you
become your own ISP providing service to the rest of your own
equipment, abstracting the details.  DHCP can still
live on the wireless router even in WAP mode, at least it can
on my old netgear muffin.