Linux on a Saturn V?

Brian Kelsay ripcrd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 08:12:57 CST 2007

Quick answer, yes, it could.  Long answer, maybe, it's not as easy as you
think.

A lot of what's complicated about space-flight software is that it must be
automated and more importantly it must be timed just right.  Linux or any
other SpaceFlight OS is going to need to monitor fuel burn rate, thrust and
altitude.  It will need to monitor and control gimbals on the engines,
various consumable stores and other instrument based readings.  It will need
to make decisions based on these readings and not get locked up or
confused.  It will need to be able to transmit all these readings back home
and send some radio signals or change frequency at minimum when key
decisions are made.  These are to let ground control know what is going on
when they are not in control or too far away to make quick changes.  The
further away the craft is, the longer it takes to send a command.

Can it do it, definitely yes.   But each craft and mission is different.
I'd bet that they want the hard real time Linux for this.