At least now I know why I haven't been able to torrent lately.OR: Anyone know any good ISPs?

Rich Edelman rcedelman at comcast.net
Wed Aug 22 13:55:10 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 22 August 2007 10:24, feba thatl wrote:
> I got an email back from comcast saying that they "do not throttle
> bittorrent" and that it's not an official comcast statement and shouldn't
> be taken "at face value"-- so they're just blocking it all around and don't
> want to admit it, as I figured. As far as fiber optic, as nice as that
> would be, I'm in Olathe, so I don't think it's an option. I'm looking into
> Everest, but their website is pretty bare, so it's kinda hard to find out
> about things.  I figure I might as well try encrypted bittorrent, but
> having to use special means to use bittorrent is as bullshit as having to
> use a voice changer to call for pizza delivery, so if that's the only way
> around it I'm not going to stay with them.

I live in Olathe, and also use Comcast. I've got no problems with BitTorrent
since switching away from using a Linksys WRT54G/GS for a router/firewall.
The problem is simple... Those devices track connections for far far too
long, and overload themselves. Apparently this doesn't apply to v5 devices
and up, but you can read more about it here:

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G_GL_GS_routers

Perhaps that is your problem? It's rather easily solved on the older devices
by upgrading your firmware to DD-WRT.

Anyway, the only other option for broadband here (aside from satellite, which,
IMO, doesn't really count) is DSL, but you'll need a land-line for that...
IIRC, ATT/SBC won't let you have DSL without also having some kind of local
phone service through them (even if you attempt to go with another provider,
say SpeakEasy).

Rich