At least now I know why I haven't been able to torrent lately. OR: Anyone know any good ISPs?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Aug 21 20:12:30 CDT 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 05:41:04 pm feba thatl wrote:

>  I'm looking at Roadrunner, Time Warner,  AT&T,
>  and a friend told me about a  company called Everest,

AT&T is probably the worst service for the money, and the traditional
Southwestern Bell approach to customer service.  (DSL isn't an inherently
worse technology, but their implementation is poor.)

RoadRunner _is_ Time Warner, with the old American Cablevision customer
service philosophy.  Until recently their service was great, but now they
have a two-day lag for any home-class service call, which means they can't do
anything about intermittent problems.  Their business service, with same-day
response, is pretty good, although they did take most of a year of service
calls to work out an occasional outage at an office in Westport.

I switched to Everest from RR/TWC when they couldn't fix my outages, and I'm
pretty happy with their service so far (~1yr).  It seems like there's less
garbage traffic on the line than there was with TWC, so the 3M connection I
have just as fast as my 5M TWC was, unless I really hit a max capacity
transfer.  Recently, however, they failed to catch a customer who was sending
spam, and they got their email servers listed on some blacklists.  I do like
the fact that the 3M service, which was advertized at $31.75/mo is _billed_
at _exactly_ $31.75/mo - no bogus fees or taxes.  (Everest has higher speeds
available for about the same prices as RR.)