What's in a node?- RE: talking about where processor ormemorygoes and why.

Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Aug 8 10:24:15 CDT 2007

 So do you think we may end up with a type of base station or thin
client that gives you a monitor, KB, mouse and the basics, but you have
a processor and memory in a pendrive-like case that you carry around?

I can see this leading to some high-bandwidth connector like 1394
(firewire) for portable drive and processor and a commodity or standard
docking box.  It would allow for easy upgrades and not so much mass of
hardware being thrown away.  Your dock/thin client/base station device
could be like the Mac Mini or that AMD PIC computer in size with at most
a single internal optical drive, USB for KB and mouse, basic 3-D video
and then whatever high-speed ports (2-3) for plugging your CPU/memory
module and pendrive and heck, even an add-on video module.

If something like this comes out, then I can only hope there is a single
open design for the ports and dock basics so there is not the trouble
like the Firewire standard had with the extra fee per port.

Brian