SMB Setup

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Sun Nov 19 17:17:52 CST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 16:55 -0600, Jim Herrmann wrote:
> Yesterday I purchased a 250 GB Buffalo NAS LinkStation.  It works fine
> from my Ubuntu box, but from my wife's Mandriva box, I can't get it to
> be writable by a normal user, only by root.  The SMB mount shows up as
> read only, even though I'm not specifying the read only parameter.  The
> share is owned by root, with a group of root.  The Buffalo gives me a
> limited selection as to what I can specify.  It has a built in web
> server that allows the setup to occur.  Here you can create shared
> folders, and specify if they are Read Only or Writable, and this folder
> is set to writable, and there are no access restrictions.  I figure
> since my Ubuntu box is working correctly with it, it must be something
> I'm doing at the mount on the Mandriva box.  Any thoughts on what I
> might have set wrong.

From `man smbmount`:

       uid=<arg>
          sets  the  uid that will own all files on the mounted filesystem. It
          may be specified as either a username or a numeric uid.

       gid=<arg>
          sets the gid that will own all files on the mounted  filesystem.  It
          may be specified as either a groupname or a numeric gid.

       fmask=<arg>
          sets the file mask. This  determines  the  permissions  that  remote
          files  have  in  the  local filesystem. This is not a umask, but the
          actual permissions for the files. The default is based on  the  cur‐
          rent umask.

       dmask=<arg>
          Sets the directory mask. This determines the permissions that remote
          directories have in the local filesystem. This is not a  umask,  but
          the  actual permissions for the directories. The default is based on
          the current umask.

	rw mount read-write