SMB Setup

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Sun Nov 19 16:55:26 CST 2006

Yesterday I purchased a 250 GB Buffalo NAS LinkStation.  It works fine
from my Ubuntu box, but from my wife's Mandriva box, I can't get it to
be writable by a normal user, only by root.  The SMB mount shows up as
read only, even though I'm not specifying the read only parameter.  The
share is owned by root, with a group of root.  The Buffalo gives me a
limited selection as to what I can specify.  It has a built in web
server that allows the setup to occur.  Here you can create shared
folders, and specify if they are Read Only or Writable, and this folder
is set to writable, and there are no access restrictions.  I figure
since my Ubuntu box is working correctly with it, it must be something
I'm doing at the mount on the Mandriva box.  Any thoughts on what I
might have set wrong?

Thanks,
Jim