Linux question, GUI "lightweight" text editors

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 12:13:31 CDT 2006

--- "Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO" wrote:
> Why don't you start by telling us which editors
> you've tried, that don't
> fit the bill.  Make it a list and save us the
> multiplicity of emails
> that say, "you can do all this with
> vi/vim/emacs/gedit/kate/beaver/Ted/kedit."   Yes, I
> said Beaver.  And it
> has  syntax highlighting.  :-)
> http://www.nongnu.org/beaver/index.html

I haven't tried beaver.
You can't do this in vi/vim/emacs/gedit/kate/kedit.
At least not that I have seen.

While I'm at it, let me add some requirements.
It has to run as a GUI editor, and the features have
to be incorporated into the editor as one of the
following:
a) by a pulldown/popup menu item,
b) a setup option, or
c) a checkbox on a dialog.

This means the feature has to be easily found and
implemented by the editor, i.e. no learning curve
to speak of. Now if these features are included in
kate or gedit then they must be hard to find. Sure
they have some of the features of UltraEdit, but not
some of the more powerful. I couldn't tell you all
the editors I've tried. I've tried all the ones you
listed except beaver. I have no doubt that emacs can
do all the things I asked for and more, but not via a
menu or setup or checkbox click. While I will confess
that keyboard shortcuts are far faster than using the
mouse, they are useless unless you can remember them
or access them quickly. But even keyboard shortcuts
are slower than set and forget "preferences" or
"settings".
Does this narrow your list Brian?

Thanks,
Brian JD