Blocked Web Server and Squid Question

Jon Moss mossjon at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 12:07:56 CDT 2006

Good afternoon everyone and happy Friday!  :)

A quick update on the Ubuntu install on the laptop for
my church - that worked great but we experienced a
hardware failure in the laptop last Sunday so that
sort of took the wind out of our sails.  :(

I have a different sort of problem and it's beyond my
expertise because I'm a infant when it comes to
networks, NATs, TCPIP, etc.

So, here goes.

First, a survey.  What happens when you go to this
http://sharing.lansingumc.org

Do you see a login screen?

More and more of my church members are getting blocked
somewhere, by their employers and in some cases the
military, I suspect because I'm doing a port forward
through my router on port 81 to the webserver behind
the router.

I have two webservers at home, the church server (port
forward to 81) and my own personal webserver (the
normal HTTP port of 80 is forwarded to it).

If it's being blocked because of port 81, should I
just switch them?

Or should I use Squid on my personal webserver to
somehow do the forwarding from my webserver to the
church webserver, all on port 80?  (This is where I
need help because I've tried reading the Squid
documentation and my mind just starts to wonder and
get lost).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I will
even go so far as to allow someone (briefly) access
via my SSH tunnel (if you provide your IP address so I
can add it to hosts.allow).

Thanks again and have a great day and an even better
weekend.

Jon Moss