Polls re: new linux distribution

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Jun 27 06:44:24 CDT 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 03:49, Rich Edelman wrote:
> If you were to start a new linux distribution, what would you use for
> package management? rpm? dpkg? none (tar.bz2s)? portage? roll your own?

As a developer of the Utopios OS, we're working on our own.

> What about managing dependencies and fetching packages from remote
> repositories? yast? apt? smart? yum? urpmi? portage?

Plans are for a decentralized, distributed package repository encouraging both
third-parties to host and maintain their own packages and easy forks of the
OS.

> What architectures / hardware would you support? ppc? alpha? x86 / x86_64?

Any platforms we can, especially x86/ppc in both 32-bit and 64-bit variants.

> On multilib capable arches (such as x86_64), would you support both 32 and
> 64 bit, or go 64 bit only?

64-bit only. There's no benefit to 32-bit support when building from source.

> Would you go the way of Ubuntu, and work around Gnome mainly? Or the way
> SuSE traditionally was, and be mostly KDE oriented?

GNOME sucks. ;)