Polls re: new linux distribution

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Tue Jun 27 00:31:07 CDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 22:49 -0500, Rich Edelman wrote:
> If you were to start a new linux distribution, what would you use for package
> management? rpm? dpkg? none (tar.bz2s)? portage? roll your own?

dpkg; won't use RPM any time soon because of bugs like this one:
http://hivearchive.com/2006/06/08/embarrassing-red-hat-rpm-bug/

> What about managing dependencies and fetching packages from remote
> repositories? yast? apt? smart? yum? urpmi? portage?

apt stack + aptitude; yum, urpmi and portage are all too slow, too young

> What architectures / hardware would you support? ppc? alpha? x86 / x86_64?

x86, x86_64; PPC is dying due to Apple's abandonment.

> On multilib capable arches (such as x86_64), would you support both 32 and 64
> bit, or go 64 bit only?

Both. Incremental changes are good.

> Would you go the way of Ubuntu, and work around Gnome mainly? Or the way SuSE
> traditionally was, and be mostly KDE oriented?

GNOME. I used KDE until a few months ago. Just switched. I like it so
much, I'm now the GNOME Games module maintainer.