Permissions for webadmin access on FC4

Jeremy Turner linuxwebguy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 10:17:33 CST 2006

On 1/30/06, Jon Moss <jon.moss at cnonline.net> wrote:
> I know I'm probably going to get slammed for being an idiot, but oh well .
> . .
>
> I've finally got some help (volunteer) for the church webserver I host at
> home.  It's an FC4 server with Apache 2.x installed.  She's from the M$
> world and asking me about ASP and DreamWeaver access, which I told her was
> a no go.  Learn PHP!  :)
>
> Anyway, I created a webadmin account that I want to have full access to
> the /var/www/html folder tree.  I added that account to the apache group,
> but that didn't work.
>
> What is the proper process for accomplishing this?  I don't want to give
> this person root access to the server.

Obviously! :)

How is she accessing the server? SSH/WinSCP? FTP?  Also, how exactly
didn't it work?  Was her user account not able to touch a file in the
directory?

If she's in the apache group, you'd need to put 775 perms on the
directory.  Although, I would probably create a separate group for web
developers, rather than use apache.  Some distributions use the apache
group as the GID of the apache process, which could leave your website
vulnerable incase someone was able to execute something as the apache
UID/GID.  Unless I'm way off base.

Jeremy