Screen Goes Black after running Xserver

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 00:55:38 CST 2006

--- Jason Clinton wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 11:30 -0800, Linux Rocks
> wrote:
>
> >         I just upgraded debian to 3.1 sarge and
> still facing the same
> >         problem. By the way TravelMate260 has
> ati's i810 driver. That
> >         was the only driver I my machine would
> work with.
>
> Wow, there's a lot of mis-information in this
> thread. First, Debian has
> NOT disabled CTRL+ALT+F switching in ANY release. I
> suspect that Brian
> has a problem with keymaps.

I never said debian disabled ctrl-alt-f functioning. I
did say that by default x.org disables the ctrl-alt-f
functionality in X.
This is a well known issue that has seen some
discussion on debian boards. If there is anything
wrong with my keymaps then it is specific only to
x.org, and it has to do specifically with the debian
packages. I am running a stock debian release and
packages. I have tweaked nothing on my system and have
no unusual hardware hooked up to this system.

As far as the ATI vs. Intel, Jason is right there.
Your video chip is an Intel chip, but you may have an
ATI chipset for everything else. I also suspect the
chip is an i830.

I would suggest you "apt-get install xserver-xfree86"
and make that your default X and see if that fixes
things. If it does we know it is x.org. If not then it
is something else. Something you might also try is to
open an xterminal and try to kill your display manager
and X, to see if you get your terminals back. Or try
it from the remote connection. If none of that works
try posting your ps list and X log.

Brian JD