Disappointed in Google

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Mon Jan 16 20:54:01 CST 2006

> Is anyone else really disappointed in Google recently?  Do no evil my
> ass.  Don't get me wrong, I love Google (or used to anyway, I'm on the
> fence now) but this Google Pack <http://pack.google.com/> stuff is
> really pathetic.  Norton and RealPlayer?!  I would only put that on
> the system of my worst enemy.  I do realize Google is getting paid for
> this service by some of these companies but does that really fit the
> "do no evil" slogan?  That's not the only thing.  Its a mass of things
> that Google has done wrong and this one finally sent me over the edge.
I would have preferred they not put any non-free software in their
Google Pack but it's not really evil to have done otherwise. Probably
when good enough free alternatives appear they'll put them instead.
Especially if we give some feedback that that is what we want. They
probably just picked what they thought of as the best of breed which is
always an arguable measurement.
> As you can see I use gmail despite it being sub par compared to other
> free services and now executable are blocked in email attachments.
> Thanks Google.  It's nice that you are trying to protect the newbies
> but at the very least give me the option to disable it.  It is MY
> email!  Development has been crappy to say the least.
What are these better free email services? Hotmail sucks, Yahoo sucks..
so what is it you'd rather use and why don't you just use it if it's better?
> I still remember reading an article on Google Rumors
> <http://www.googlerumors.com/> about the possibility of a calendar.
> Still isn't here.  I am not saying that I am completely expected one
> since it was never official and that Google is a free service that I
> am not paying for, thus they can provide what they want, but its been
> a while since Google has done anything worth while for their users.  I
> realize this is a Linux mailing list and that most of Google's
> software is for Windows XP but I still want to hear your opinion on
> the matter.  Is this the beginning of the end?  Is Google finally
> following in the footsteps of their older brothers and becoming
> corrupt?  Ok ok... Maybe I am looking into it too much, but it just
> seems lacking.  Google is still good in other areas though.  There
> support for open source and the summer of code project is a great
> idea!  I feel that Google should set sights on doing a service and
> doing it well.  There search is second to none.  For the other
> stuff.... well, a little more time creating a quality product would do
> them and everyone else a lot better instead of trying to move on to
> other projects.  Am I going overboard or ranting to much or do you
> agree with me.  So many intelligent computer users (read slashdotters)
> have built up Google to be a god and to some it would seem sinful to
> bash Google in any light.  Any thoughts?
Any free services not offered by Google is hardly something they are
required to do. Software takes time to write and services take resources
to host. I'd rather they not offer a service until they think they can
really make it better. If you think you can offer the service they don't
or think you can do it better than please do so. You could make a lot of
money and we'd all get to experience these great new services. Try
running a business while trying not to be evil in anyones eyes. It's
hard to do.