Anyone have a spare machine?

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Jan 4 11:25:42 CST 2006

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 17:10, Frank Wiles wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 16:56:36 +0000 Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 January 2006 06:25, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > > I am looking for something that would run KDE / GNOME well enough
> > > that I don't misinterpret its performance as a bug. I suspect video
> > > card + 900 MHz machine would do the job. Although, beggers are not
> > > choosers.
> >
> > + a crapload of RAM
> >
> > Unless you use only very few applications at a time, even 1 GB won't
> > be enough. I generally sit around 3 GB RAM usage-- mostly swapped,
> > which kills performance.
>
>   Or you could just use less applications at once.

Hence "Unless you use only very few applications at a time".

>   I run Gnome all day on a laptop with only 384 MBs of RAM.  It's my primary
>   work station and I never run into serious performance problems.

Perhaps you only do one or two things at a time and don't have on average over
50 windows open?

>   I typically have the following running constantly:
>
>   *) Several ( 5 or more ) terminals

I have at least that many, especially if you count each individual Konsole
tab.

>   *) Sylpheed

Obviously a good idea to have a mail app open all the time ;)

>   *) Firefox with several tabs

Aww, cmon. Firefox is for Windows lusers... Those of us who use Linux-based OS
have better browsers, namely Konqueror.

>   *) X-Chat

This used to eat a ton of RAM on my system until I limited its scrollback
buffer...

>   *) Gaim

Not sure about Gaim, but Kopete can eat quite a bit of RAM. I like Psi's nice
small footprint.

>   *) Lifrea

How's the RAM usage here? Akregator keeps all article summaries in RAM, and is
eating 52 MB right now (usually more)