Taking a poll on mail client reply

Jeremy Turner linuxwebguy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:52:41 CST 2006

On 1/3/06, Tom Bruno <tom at limesg.com> wrote:
> The only time I can see having the user who emailed in the reply is if
> it is a mailing list that allows non-subscribers to post. Since, a
> non-subscriber would not see the reply if it was only sent to the list.
> This is a closed, subscriber only list though.  There's no reason to
> even send the message to the users e-mail. A "reply to all" the original
> poster gets the message twice.

On the other hand, if the list is set to reply back to the list
itself, and I want to reply to a particular user and click 'Reply to
All', I don't have the option of simply erasing 'kclug at kclug.org' and
going on with life.  The Reply-To header munging eliminates their
email address.  Then I have to go back to the original email, copy the
user's email address, and paste it into the new email.  This is a big
pain for someone simply trying to reduce noise on a mailing list.

> That of course is not what I'm asking. Leave the user's email or don't,
> i just want the list's email listed first.
Are you asking for 'kclug at kclug.org' to be listed before
'joe at somedomain.com' when you hit 'Reply to All'?  If so, I would
think that this would be a feature of your email client, rather than
the email list.

Email clients *should* have options that read 'reply' and 'reply to
list', in addition to 'reply to all'.  Some clients do, but most still
don't.

Speaking of, what email client are you using?

Jeremy