Linux on older laptops

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Jan 3 10:39:08 CST 2006

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 07:55, Tom Bruno wrote:
> If i write something, and make a piece of hardware, am I not entilted to
> keep the details to myself?

You can keep the details to yourself provided you do not distribute the
hardware.

> How would it be immoral for me to not give away all the details of my
> creation?

While not giving away all the details may be acceptable in itself provided a
moral reason, purposely hiding such details certainly would not be since it
is inhibiting others' rights to make modifications and such.

> Providers of binary only software, or those whom will not co-op with the
> opensource community have just as much right to act that way, as those who
> do co-op with the community.

They have no right to limit the rights of others.

> It is thier creation and they own all the rights.. which is why they can
> keep it closed..

It is only theirs until they give or sell it to somebody else. Once someone
else has obtained it legit, it is their rights to make modifications or
duplications.

> Freedom of speech, upholds the right to not speak.

However, once you speak, freedom of speech also upholds the right of those who
heard you to tell others and expand on what you said.