Amazing Xgl Demo Video

sirsky sirsky at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 18:16:04 CST 2006

On 2/24/06, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO <brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:
> One question, why would I want to watch a movie or play a game around a
> corner?

Remember that feature some of the more simple, yet very addicting DOS
games had back in the day - the 'Boss Key'?  :)  A flick of a
keystroke, and you're back 'around the corner' working on your
spreadsheet like a good employee should...until the Boss walks back
around the corner, and you can return to your game / movie / other
time-waster.  Same concept, just looks a bit nicer now...

> I also don't understand the need to have a window go wavy as it is moved
> around the screen.  Other than that, I like the window transparency,
> dimming, etc.

It's not always just about how /useful/ something is as eye candy
generally is useless (hence the term 'candy').  There is absolutely no
/need/, but it's very much O.K. to make things look really nice, and
actually make use of the hardware capabilities in your computer that
would otherwise go unused 99% of the time just because you /can/.

Of course, if you have hardware that can't handle it or it simply
annoys you to see windows waving as you move them around, it's good
that you can pick and choose the features you want, and can turn the
others off.

A BMW 745i is just as functional as an '87 Toyota, but if you can
afford the resources, one is definately nicer than the other.

<shrug>Just my 0g 0s 2c.</shrug>

-Lucas