Ubuntu and Kubuntu vs. Mepis.... Gentoo?

Kendric Beachey kendric.beachey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 09:56:18 CDT 2006

On 4/5/06, Jeremy Fowler <JFowler at westrope.com> wrote:
> Why has Gentoo fallen out of favor? Doesn't anyone use Gentoo anymore besides me? Gentoo's portage and emerge utility rivals that of Debian's app-get. 2006.0 LiveCD even has a graphical installer available, though any true Linux user should be ashamed of using such a thing. ;-) I find building and compiling a fresh Gentoo installation very satisfying. I would have thought there would be more people like me on the KLUG list...

I'm still kicking along with Gentoo...did the graphical install of
2006.0 on my desktop at work (with a LOT of helping it out myself, as
it had a lot of situations where it would not resolve dependencies
correctly, and plus the machine in question had bad RAM for a while).
I was going to do the graphical install at home too when something
went badwrong recently, but apparently the GUI installer is x86 only
for now, and I'm amd64 at home.  Oh well, the old way still works.
:-)

While I'm at it, I'll put in a plug for the system that kept my data
safe so I could nuke my home machine and start over.  I'm using
BackupPC.  http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ I've got an old
dual-Pentium III machine in the basement with a 6-disk RAID5 array
holding the backup data..can handle up to two disks going bad before
data loss happens.  Using BackupPC I can restore data easily from a
web interface.  It's saved my bacon plenty of times.
--
Kendric Beachey