Update on Ubuntu and my Church Laptop

Jon Moss jon.moss at cnonline.net
Wed Apr 5 06:10:17 CDT 2006

Just wanted to let you know that installing Ubuntu on the Dell Lattitude
was a breeze!  (no pun intended).

I had a sleepless night because I couldn't figure out how to get it to
update via the package manager correctly but after reading the website
(duh) I figured it out.

I've been able to play DVDs, CDs, PowerPoints (via Impress of course) and
some web media (but not WMVs or ASFs).  Since we don't have Internet
access at the church, I'm not too worried about the latter.

The DVD playback is a little choppy so I need to investigate how much RAM
was "donated" with the laptop.  And that may not make a difference . . .
may just be the age of the laptop or the norm for Totem Movie player.

All-in-All it was one of the easiest Linux installs I've ever done, and
the first one on a laptop.

Thank you very much for suggesting Ubuntu.  I may be converted from Fedora
Core to Ubuntu/Debian.  :)

Later,

Jon Moss