Ubuntu and Kubuntu vs. Mepis

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 02:42:07 CDT 2006

I'm currently running Ubuntu Breezy.  It's fantastically simple to set
up a desktop environment with, because they simply defined a virtual
package "ubuntu-desktop" that pulls in a fair amount of tools you'd
want. Of all the Debian based distros, I think this is one  most
likely to succeed in the long term, except perhaps Debian itself.

Theres a repo in Ubuntu called universe that you might be interested
in. Universe is a repo for porting debian unstable packages by people
other than ubuntu developers.  There's a group called Masters of the
Universe that manage it and keep it semi working. Its possible that
you'll still run into apt-pin situations should you decide that the
MotU is too slow, but I havent had the need to try to run around
universe yet.

And since I you've asked about them, I'll also explain that multiverse
is the set of packages typically found in debian's non-free, plus some
they won't even distribute in there. Basically universe is the extras
that nobody from ubuntu spent time porting and bringing into official
"our support contracts require this be in main" repo. I don't believe
security-updates affects main, although usually the motu try to keep
on top of that. And multiverse is the closed source stuff like mplayer
and acroreader etc that's useful but may not be legal or encouraged.

Ive gone through two upgrades of Ubuntu thus far, with minimal
troubles.  Yes, there was a root password leak that wasn't caught
until lately.  However, it didnt affect me because the problem was in
one of the newer installers.  I'd suggest waiting perhaps a day or a
week before upgrading.  That way the traffic on the mirrors dies down,
and the "oh shit" bugs are found.  I'm told newer versions of Ubuntu
are going to include an improved synaptic with an "upgrade distro"
button, so you can move from Breezy to Dapper, or Dapper to Dapper+1.

After the Sarge debacle, Ubuntu did a bang up job of pressuring Debian
to make strides of improvement.  Debian's always prided itself on
being a jack of all trades and flexible -- Ubuntu stole a collection
of Debian Developers and demonstrated that focusing on a single area
(PC desktops) is just as valid and valuable.

Justin Dugger