Laptop for Church - Which Distro

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Apr 3 18:08:13 CDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 14:08 -0700, James Sissel wrote:

>         But to be quite frank, the only thing I have found lacking in
>         an properly configured/setup Fedora Core is midi support. And
>         maybe I just didn't give it much attention (had no real need
>         for it)

I gave Fedora Core 5 (4.92) a try a few weeks ago. As far as I could
tell, it was nothing more than a Gnome desktop with some themes. IMO,
the heart of a Linux distro is the package manager and I could scarcely
believe what Fedora has passing as a package manager/update system these
days. But maybe the GUI hid the underlying features from me. How are you
supposed to get updates AND resolved dependency conflicts at the same
time? Is there no interface for this? It seems like, if you going to
have to be installing some 20-odd third-party RPM's to get decent codec
and Java support, you're going to have to have the ability to resolve
conflicts somehow.

Also, the installer was amazingly simple ... as in, having little to no
options for anything. But again, maybe I missed an "advanced" mode?

--
Jason D. Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com>